This is a blog to record my experiences around attending seminary (in preparation for entering pastoral ministry) as a young adult Quaker.

Monday, July 26, 2010

The Count Down to Seminary

Dear F(f)riends,

The true count down to seminary has begun. I graduated in May, and then I moved to a different part of the country for the summer, but now it is getting close to the time where I will head back to NY, and unpack my boxes, and repack my boxes, and move to a new chapter of my life.

I must say that I am getting a little nervous. In the last six months I have fielded countless questions about my decision to go to seminary, but the one I hear the most often is "why a Presbyterian seminary?" or in other words. Although I have a number of answers that I regularly give, the answer that is closest to the truth is also the least satisfying for the majority of the people I speak to. I am going to Princeton because I am a Quaker, and Quakers do sometimes strange things because they feel that is what God wishes. So the best answer I have is that I am following what I have discerned to be the Divine will. So, so be it. Away I go to Princeton.

On another note, this summer I got engaged to be married. My fiance is also a Quaker (we met at Earlham College) and we will be holding an unprogrammed Quaker wedding in the spring of 2011. We recently met and were cleared by my home meeting, and plans are coming together quickly.

So that is the news for now. I will post again in a little over a month when I begin my studies at Princeton!

No comments:

Post a Comment